Monchi explains his legs were trembling when he told Totti to retire
The former Sevilla transfer guru said it was a nervous moment but one that ultimately led to a good working and personal relationship between the two men.
Monchi made the move from LaLiga to Serie A this summer as he swapped Sevilla for Rome, where he takes up the same role of Sporting Director with the Italian club. One of his first moves in his new job was to end the career of Roma legend Francesco Totti and he admits that speaking with the striker had his "legs shaking".
"I imagine it wasn't the best news of his life, but I believe that he appreciated the fact that I said it to him as I looked in his eyes. I'm sure that this was important to create the foundation for a good relationship both personal and professional between the two of us. When I told him, my legs were shaking because I didn't just tell anyone, it was Francesco Totti, no less," Monchi explaind.
The former Sevilla transfer guru also spoke about Atlético Madrid's current state, "I value what they have done for two reasons. They came back from a very difficult situation after two years in Segunda and now rub shoulders with the best in Europe. Also, they did it in the shadow of one of the biggest clubs in the world, Real Madrid. Now, I think, they are having a bit of a blip just like Real Madrid and Barcelona have had. It would be unfair to say give Atlético the death notice though because of their history and underestimating Cholo's ability," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times