Real Madrid: Dani Carvajal suspended for Champions League last 16 opener
Valencia - Juventus live: Champions League 2018/19
Dani Carvajal will be banned for the first leg of Real Madrid's Champions League last 16 tie after the UEFA Controls, Ethics, and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) imposed an additional ban for deliberately forcing a yellow card in the 0-6 victory over APOEL.
Real Madrid appealed the ban, but UEFA upheld it on February 6th. Carvajal will miss Real Madrid vs PSG on February 14th.
Carvajal forced a yellow card in Cyprus
Carvajal was awarded the yellow card in the closing stages of the match in Cyprus as he took too long to take a throw-in. The 25-year-old was already on four yellow cards, and sought to gain a fifth in order to serve a suspension in the dead-rubber match against Borussia Dortmund.
He initially succeeded, but has now been punished for his misdemeanour with an additional match added to the ban.
Levante guilty of the same act
A clear precedent exists for this act. In 2013, UEFA suspended Levante player Sergio Ballesteros for attempting the same thing in a Europa League match against Helsingborg.
Carvajal is also suspended for the LaLiga match against Sevilla on Saturday, along with Sergio Ramos and Casemiro.
Te recomendamos en English
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Neymar asks for another opportunity in Spain
- PREMIER LEAGUE Luke Shaw signs Manchester United extension
- BUNDESLIGA Manuel Neuer will prove he's still the best, says Hugo Lloris
- SERIE A Former Milan owner blacklisted by Chinese authorities
- BARCELONA Neymar and Barcelona will meet again… in the law courts
- REAL MADRID Lucas Vázquez on his secondary role at Madrid: "Every footballer always wants to play"