Casillas to inform Porto he wants January exit after being dropped
The former Real Madrid keeper will seek his fortune elsewhere after Porto boss Sergio Conçeiçao relegated him in favour of José Sá.
Porto keeper Iker Casillas is to leave the Portuguese side in January and will tell the club of his decision in the coming days, according to a report in national sports daily A Bola.
The former Real Madrid stopper has been relegated to the bench by Porto coach Sergio Conçeiçao in favour of José Sá and is intent on seeking his fortune elsewhere in the winter market. Casillas is out of contract at the Estádio do Dragão in June and will be free to talk to other European clubs as of the start of the new year.
Rafa Benítez keen on Casillas
It is unlikely Casillas would view a return to LaLiga in a positive light but he does have other options on the table. Newcastle manager Rafa Benítez has expressed an interest in taking the World Cup-winner to St James’ Park and he will probably not be short of offers from MLS and China.
Until he was dropped by Conçeiçao, Casillas had been in decent form, conceding just six times in 10 games in the Primeira Liga and Champions League, with eight wins, a 0-0 domestic draw against Sporting and a single 3-1 defeat to Besiktas as Porto qualified for the knock-out stages of the Champions League. During that run, Casillas kept seven clean sheets.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?