Guillermo Amor, Barcelona’s director of institutional relations, spoke to Spanish television after his side’s 4-0 win over Deportivo on Sunday night and fielded a question about Atlético Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann, in which he appeared to confirm a report in Catalan daily Mundo Deportivo that the Camp Nou had already made contact with the France striker about a possible summer move to the club.
“If that’s what the paper says then it’s the case. It is possible there has been an approach and that some progress has been made. It’s work the club is normally accustomed to doing. In the football world it’s inevitable that people talk about players. It’s something that tends to happen,” Amor told Movistar.
Mundo Deportivo: Bartomeu met with Greizmann's family in Barcelona
The Mundo Deportivo report claimed that Barça president Josep Maria Bartomeu had met with Griezmann’s representative – the player’s sister – and other family members at a Barcelona restaurant to discuss the possibility of a transfer next summer.
The France striker has a minimum release clause of 100 million euros in his Atlético contract and although Barcelona were interested last summer Griezmann elected to remain in Madrid due to Atlético’s transfer ban, which expires in January and will free up Diego Costa to add to Diego Simeone’s option in attack.