Benevento finally win after worst-ever Serie A start
Rock-bottom Benevento have ended their record-breaking wait for a first Serie A victory with a 1-0 win over Chievo, thanks to Massimo Coda's goal.
Massimo Coda was the hero as Benevento ended the worst-ever start to a Serie A season by any club with a 1-0 victory over Chievo.
The team from Campania, promoted via the play-offs after finishing fifth in Serie B last season, had lost their first 14 matches before finally earning a point from a 2-2 draw at home to AC Milan.
That long-overdue positive result arrived in extraordinary fashion, goalkeeper Alberto Brignoli scoring a header from a corner in injury time to deny the Rossoneri.
On Saturday, it was Coda's turn to grab the spotlight as they went one better at Stadio Ciro Vigorito, converting Marco D'Alessandro's cross in the 64th minute.
28 - Massimo Coda has scored his first goal in the current Serie A with his 28th shot. Relief. #BeneventoChievo— OptaPaolo (@OptaPaolo) 30 December 2017
Despite the drought-breaking victory, Benevento remain bottom of the table with just four points, 11 adrift of safety.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In