Gabigol: Inter Milan flop returns to Santos on year-long loan
Santos have announced the return of Gabriel Barbosa on a year-long loan after the striker failed to make the grade at Inter and Benfica.
Gabriel Barbosa, bettern known as Gabigol, has been granted relief from a torrid start to life in Europe, with Santos announcing he has returned to the club on a year-long loan from Inter Milan.
25m-euro Inter switch hasn't gone to plan
The Serie A side shelled out a reported 25 million euros to sign the Brazil international in August 2016, but he made just 10 appearances in all competitions – his only start coming in the Coppa Italia – and scored one goal in his debut season.
A loan to Benfica was not successful in securing greater playing time, with Gabigol getting just four outings for the Portuguese giants and he has gone full circle with a return to Brazil.
Gabigol: "I return very different: more mature"
"It happened very quickly. It was a time for me to learn. I am very happy to come back and wear this shirt," he said in a statement issued by Santos.
"They knew how much I wanted to come back here. Everything is in place for it to go right. I return very different; more mature and with more experience."
During his first spell at Santos, Gabigol scored 57 goals in 157 appearances and won the Campeonato Paulista on two occasions.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In