Bayern Munich's David Alaba is on Barcelona's summer shopping list.
Fernández asks Bartomeu to find money for Alaba swoop
The LaLiga giants are long-term admirers of Alaba, and the club's technical secretary, Robert Fernández, is understood to have asked president Josep Maria Bartomeu to find the funds to go after the versatile Austrian international, who can play at left-back, in central defence or in midfield.
However, Barça will have to dig deep to persuade Bayern to sell the 25-year-old, who signed an improved five-year deal in 2016, with the Bavarians' CEO, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, declaring: "He's essential to us and to the structure of the team."
Barcelona already set to splash 100m euros on Griezmann
What's more, Barça are already primed for a significant end-of-season outlay - expected to be around 100m euros - on Atlético Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann.
Digne, Vermaelen futures affected by Alaba
Meanwhile, room would have to be made for Alaba in Ernesto Valverde's squad, with left-back Lucas Digne and central defender Thomas Vermaelen the chief candidates to make way.
Although Barcelona are happy with Digne, they are not ruling out moving him on in future dealings, while it is unclear what will happen with Vermaelen, who is out of contract in 2019 and is enjoying a good season at the Camp Nou.
Follow the latest news from transfer deadline day with AS English.
Te recomendamos en English
- Chelsea NBA guard, Josh Hart, paid Pulisic a visit at Stamford Bridge
- MLS Wayne Rooney has had enough of the MLS
- FOOTBALL Juventus enter the race to sign Neymar
- BARCELONA Dembélé to miss five weeks with hamstring tear
- JUVENTUS Juventus head coach Sarri diagnosed with pneumonia
- REAL MADRID I made sure Neymar didn't join Real Madrid - ex-Santos chief