Five-star Eibar thrash much-changed Sevilla
Sevilla paid the price for looking ahead to their Copa del Rey clash with Leganés, as they were trounced 5-1 at Eibar in LaLiga.
Vincenzo Montella's rotating backfired spectacularly as Sevilla suffered an embarrassing 5-1 defeat at Eibar in LaLiga on Saturday.
Rotations go awry
The fixture was sandwiched between Sevilla's Copa del Rey semi-final clashes with Leganés, with Montella deciding to rest several key players such as Ever Banega and Luis Muriel, while Sandro Ramirez, Roque Mesa and Miguel Layun all made their debuts.
There was also a return at centre-back for captain Nico Pareja after more than four months out with a thigh injury, but his rustiness was laid bare within 37 seconds, as the Argentinian failed to close Kike Garcia down and the winger rifled a ferocious effort past Sergio Rico.
7 - No la Liga defender provide more assists than Jose Angel this term. Tray. pic.twitter.com/23XE2ULUjS— OptaJose (@OptaJose) February 3, 2018
Fabian Orellana doubled Eibar's tally in the 16th minute, firing home at the back post after Jose Angel picked out the winger with an exquisite outside-of-the-foot cross.
Sevilla pulled one back through a Pablo Sarabia penalty, but that was one of few positive moments for the hapless visitors, who conceded again just after the half-hour mark - Ivan Ramis powering home a header from another sumptuous Jose Angel delivery, taking him to seven assists for the season.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In