Montella: “I can only ask for the fans' forgiveness”
The Sevilla boss was forced into an apology after an inspired Eibar knocked five past his defensively suspect side in Ipurua.
Sevilla manager Vincenzo Montella was in contrite mood during his post-match press conference after high-flying Eibar thrashed his side 5-1 in Ipurua on Saturday.
What happened? “We started poorly and we were inferior to our opponents physically and mentally. We were hampered by not having much rest [after the Copa semi-finals] and because of the all the changes we made, which were necessary. The players gave it everything.”
How did the new signings do? “They were playing in the context of a new environment and they still need time to understand the team, but that is completely normal.”
What can you say to the supporters? “That we are very disappointed by today’s game. Above all I would like to apologise to all the fans and I hope that on Wednesday they will help us to the reach the [Copa del Rey] final.
Pareja: “We can’t accept this; we are Sevilla”
The Sevilla captain also faced the media after the game and spoke in a similar tone to his manager.
Were Sevilla suffering from fatigue after the cup game? “Tiredness is not an excuse. We are not happy because in the first half we weren’t able to compete. There are no excuses, we can’t go into games like this. We are the only ones who are responsible and on Wednesday we have to turn the situation around.”
How do you explain the result? “We made a lot of individual errors that cost us. We can’t play like this in LaLiga.”
How will you resolve it? “We can’t accept this and we can’t give off this image. We are Sevilla, we have to look at ourselves and try to carry on picking up points.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?