Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior was the protagonist in this weekend's Flamengo victory over Botafago in the Rio derby. A delicious curling effort from the youngster flew into the top corner giving the keeper no chance but his controversial celebration was rewarded with a booking, one that fellow Brazilian Neymar was quick to defend.
'Cry-baby' celebration charge for Vinicius
On loan in Brazil from the Spanish giants, Vinicius has been rarely out of the news. That goal, which was the third in a 3-1 win to reach the Guanabara Cup final, was followed with a celebration with his teammates where Vinicius rubbed his eyes as if he was crying towards the opposing fans. The referee deemed this provocative and showed him a yellow card just seconds before the full-time whistle.
Neymar supports young compatriot
The goal, celebration and sanction from the official was much discussed on social media, and one famous name joined in. PSG's Neymar Jr responded to an Instagram post from Brazilian football account Futebol Na Tela who had posted:
"Vinícius Júnior shown a yellow card for doing the 'cry baby'. What is football coming to?"
Neymar's response suggested he agreed:
"Football is mad. If your team wins against that of your friend and you celebrate it, you are making a mistake. You will be punished."
As Vinicius was being sanctioned with a booking, several of the incensed Botafago players had to be held back by the officials and players and staff spilled onto the pitch from the technical area. The future Real Madrid star walked off ignoring it all.
Vinicius and his Flamengo side will play Boavista in the final on Wednesday, which is the first round of the main Rio de Janiero championship.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check passed in Senate updates: who qualifies, how much, when will the payment arrive, Biden signs | Live
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Why are unemployment benefits changing from $400 to $300?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed in the Senate: when is voting in the House of Representatives?
- US NEWS Child tax credit - $3000 or $3600: how much will it be per child?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed: when will it be sent out and how much?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check passed: when will Biden sign it?