Depor try out fifth keeper of year, who sees red on 39 minutes
Koval was given his marching orders for a terrible challenge in the first half. Depor have now used more keepers this season than they have won games.
Deportivo’s search for a number one took another twist on Saturday in Riazor when on-loan Dynamo Kiev keeper Maksym Koval, who was making his debut for Clarence Seedorf’s side after joining in January, lasted just 39 minutes of the match against Eibar.
Charging out of goal to prevent Joan Jordán from running through after a clamorous error from Raúl Albentosa, the Ukraine international was shown a straight red for a dreadful challenge on the Eibar midfielder.
Seedorf was forced to sacrifice Emre Çolak to send on Spanish keeper Rubén, who had until the 3-0 defeat at Getafe been Depor’s first choice since recovering from a broken finger in November.
Depor still seeking an undisputed number one
It was against the same opposition in Ipurua that another Depor keeper made his 2017-18 bow and indeed his professional debut when Francis Uzoho became the youngest-ever foreign keeper to make an appearance in LaLiga at just under 19 years of age. However, the club’s signing of defender Cristóbal weeks later saw the Nigeria international returned to the youth team.
As well as Koval, Rubén and Francis, Depor have tried Przemyslaw Tyton and Costel Pantilimon between the sticks this season with the latter later being loaned out to Nottingham Forest in January.
No team has used so many keepers in a Liga season since Málaga in 2010-11, with Rubén one of the five stoppers tried out before Willy Caballero arrived in January to make the number one shirt his own. Depor have still to find their undisputed starter this season and have now used more keepers than they have won Liga matches in 2017-18.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Mbappé transfer: the nuclear option to force his departure from PSG
- EURO 2020 Busquets: "We'll send Van der Vaart a leg of ham as a thank you present"
- NBA Durant responds to Pippen after Bulls legend says Nets star 'doesn't have what LeBron has'
- TENNIS Defending champion Simona Halep ruled out of Wimbledon
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS $300 unemployment benefit: which states still keep payments?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Florentino explains Sergio Ramos' and Zidane's departures