Messi: "No chance" of Man City signing Barça ace, says Soriano
Lionel Messi will not be leaving Barcelona for Manchester City, according to the Premier League leaders' sporting director.
Manchester City sporting director Ferrán Soriano says there is "no chance" the club will sign Lionel Messi from Barcelona.
The Argentine superstar signed a new deal at the Camp Nou through to 2021 back in November, which includes a mammoth 700-million-euro release clause.
Despite that commitment, speculation continues to swirl surrounding a potential reunion with Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium.
"We will make our way without Messi", says Soriano
During their time together at Barça, Guardiola and Messi won three successive LaLiga crowns and the Champions League twice, among a host of other honours, but their relationship is unlikely to be rekindled at City.
"There is no chance of signing Messi," Soriano told reporters in Argentina. "I know him and his family well and I know they are fine in Barcelona, which is where he needs to be.
"We will make our way without him, which will be more difficult because he is the best player in the history of football. He changed everything, he is a genius."
Te recomendamos en English
- Moving the goalposts! Mourinho reveals woodwork mishap
- CORONAVIRUS $300 unemployment benefits: which states are still paying it?
- US NEWS Breonna Taylor case: who are Brett Hankison, Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove?
- Black Lives Matter protests Breonna Taylor case: what is ‘wanton endangerment’ in the first degree?
- Billboard Music Awards Billboard Music Awards 2020: list of all nominations - Post Malone, the most nominated
- Liverpool Liverpool were 'easy on the eye' against Lincoln City - Klopp
Lo más visto
Dest to become second most expensive American transfer
Suárez breaks down in tears at Barcelona farewell