Inter's Icardi reaches 100 Serie A goals at former club Sampdoria
Mauro Icardi scored four against Sampdoria, the club he used to play for, to take his Serie A goal tally past the 100 mark.
Inter striker Mauro Icardi has reached 100 goals in Serie A, fittingly doing so against his former club Sampdoria on Sunday.
Inter ace scores 100th and more Serie A goals
The Argentina international confidently rolled home from the penalty spot on the half-hour at Stadio Luigi Ferraris to put Inter 2-0 up after Ivan Perisic's opener, bringing up his century in his 180th Serie A match.
That was the first in a stunning 14-minute hat-trick, and the striker added a fourth early in the second half with a mis-hit volley.
Opened top-flight account in 2012 with Sampdoria
Icardi netted his first Serie A goal way back in November 2012, scoring Sampdoria's third in a 3-1 Derby della Lanterna win over rivals Genoa.
He went on to get 10 in Italy's top flight that season, convincing Inter to part with 6 million euros to secure his signature.
Although Icardi only managed nine in his first campaign with Inter, he has gone on to become a vital figure at the club and is now captain.
He followed up that season with 22 in 2013-14, but his personal best in a single term is the 24 he managed in 2016-17.
Icardi now on 22 league goals this season
His brace against Sampdoria takes him on to 22 for the current campaign, giving him nine more matches to reach 25 and better his tally from last season.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In