Ronaldinho reveals the club he was close to joining before Barça
In an interview with FourFourTwo, the recently-retired Brazil star reveals the club that were 48 hours away from securing his signature, before Barça came along.
Ronaldinho became an icon at Barcelona following his arrival from PSG in 2003. Yet had it not been for the intervention of Sandro Rosell, the Brazilian’s career could have taken a very different path.
Ronaldinho 48 hours from Manchester United
“It almost happened with [Manchester] United,” the 38-year-old told FourFourTwo, “It was a matter of 48 hours, but Sandro Rosell had told me way before I got the offer: “If I become Barça president, will you come?” I said yes.”
“It was only a matter of details with United when Rosell called to say he was going to win the elections there,” Ronaldinho added.
And I had promised to him that I’d play for Barça… It was a quick negotiation.”
No Barcelona regrets
The playmaker, who also went on to play for AC Milan, has no regrets about his decision.
“I told the English I had chosen Barça. It was the right choice. Brazilians have always loved Barça. We have a history there. Off the pitch it is like nowhere else in Europe, so we are always happy playing there. I miss Barcelona a lot. I had five fantastic seasons there, at a club that likes strikers and talented players.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?