Uefa accused of favouritism after Champions League Twitter posts
After the first leg in Turin against Juventus, a game that Real Madrid won 0-3, Uefa's official social media account posted a tweet that got rival fans annoyed. Cruz Azul vs America: Liga MX, live online
A tweet that was sent out from the official Uefa Twitter account has incensed a number of fans, some of whom are suggesting that there is a bias towards Real Madrid.
Uefa tweet causes a social media stir
The post in question came after the Champions League quarter-final first leg between Juventus and Madrid, a game that the current Spanish and European champions won 0-3. Sent in both English and Spanish languages, European football's governing body included an image of the starting XI for Zinedine Zidane with the message asking the question if this was going to be this year's winners.
That suggestion angered a number of fans who accused Uefa of favouritism towards Los Blancos as they promoted the credentials of Cristiano, Modric, Marcelo and co. One response from a clear admirer of Barcelona's Lionel Messi asked: "You do remember that this is the quarter finals and there are other champion candidates? Another read: "This is disrespectful to the other clubs."
Other rival fans responded to the suggestion that Madrid could win an unprecedented third consecutive title by posting their own teams or those they thought were more likely winners.
The controversial tweet...
...and various responses
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: could one be approved before the US election?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City close to signing Jules Koundé from Sevilla
- LALIGA Will Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atlético struggle this season?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester sign Cengiz Under on loan from Roma
- EMMY AWARDS Emmy Awards 2020: times, dates and how and where to watch live online
- EMMY AWARDS Emmy Awards 2020: full list of key nominations by category