Real Madrid - Juventus: Benatia on Vázquez not a penalty
Michael Oliver penalised Medhi Benatia for a foul on Vázquez to allow Ronaldo to score from the penalty spot. AS's resident ref says he made the wrong call. LAFC vs LA Galaxy: Vela vs Zlatan live online, MLS week 25
Real Madrid limped through to the semi-final of the Champions League after a last-gasp Cristiano Ronaldo penalty against Juventus secured a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Benatia contact on Vázquez 'not enough'
English referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot in the third minute of added time after Juventus centre-half Medhi Benatia appeared to shove Lucas Vázquez.
Yet according to AS's resident referee, Eduardo Iturralde, it was the wrong decision. "The contact from behind wasn't enough," Iturralde said, "he shouldn't have blown for a penalty".
Pandemonium ensued after Oliver had pointed to the spot, and Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon was sent off for protesting. The Bernabéu gave a standing ovation to Buffon following a sour end to what is likely to be his final Champions League appearance for Juve. Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo kept his calm to tuck the penalty in to the top corner and send Madrid to the semi-final.
Te recomendamos en English
- LaLiga Barcelona vs Granada: LaLiga Santander: how and where to watch, times, TV, online
- REAL MADRID 2 -1 SEVILLA Lopetegui to Monchi: "This is a disgrace man, always the same"
- REAL MADRID 2-1 SEVILLA Monchi: "If the second goal had been disallowed, I'd have taken the team off"
- Barcelona Setien surprised by Barcelona players' attitude
- PSG Neymar has become the leader PSG hoped for - says Tuchel
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool vs Manchester United: Premier League: How and where to watch