Real Madrid - Juventus: Benatia on Vázquez not a penalty
Michael Oliver penalised Medhi Benatia for a foul on Vázquez to allow Ronaldo to score from the penalty spot. AS's resident ref says he made the wrong call. MLS All-Stars vs Atletico Madrid: All-Star Game live online
Real Madrid limped through to the semi-final of the Champions League after a last-gasp Cristiano Ronaldo penalty against Juventus secured a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Benatia contact on Vázquez 'not enough'
English referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot in the third minute of added time after Juventus centre-half Medhi Benatia appeared to shove Lucas Vázquez.
Yet according to AS's resident referee, Eduardo Iturralde, it was the wrong decision. "The contact from behind wasn't enough," Iturralde said, "he shouldn't have blown for a penalty".
Pandemonium ensued after Oliver had pointed to the spot, and Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon was sent off for protesting. The Bernabéu gave a standing ovation to Buffon following a sour end to what is likely to be his final Champions League appearance for Juve. Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo kept his calm to tuck the penalty in to the top corner and send Madrid to the semi-final.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG | BARCELONA Neymar: PSG reject Barcelona loan proposal - reports
- PORTUGAL Casillas to undergo tests with hopes of Porto return
- BAYERN MUNICH Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled
- REAL MADRID Jovic: "I laughed at loan move reports; Zidane believes in me"
- ARSENAL Arsenal signings a show of club's 'aura', says ambitious Kroenke
- BARCELONA Barcelona left with just one fit attacker