Real Madrid - Juventus: Benatia on Vázquez not a penalty
Michael Oliver penalised Medhi Benatia for a foul on Vázquez to allow Ronaldo to score from the penalty spot. AS's resident ref says he made the wrong call. LAFC vs LA Galaxy: Vela vs Zlatan live online, MLS week 25
Real Madrid limped through to the semi-final of the Champions League after a last-gasp Cristiano Ronaldo penalty against Juventus secured a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Benatia contact on Vázquez 'not enough'
English referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot in the third minute of added time after Juventus centre-half Medhi Benatia appeared to shove Lucas Vázquez.
Yet according to AS's resident referee, Eduardo Iturralde, it was the wrong decision. "The contact from behind wasn't enough," Iturralde said, "he shouldn't have blown for a penalty".
Pandemonium ensued after Oliver had pointed to the spot, and Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon was sent off for protesting. The Bernabéu gave a standing ovation to Buffon following a sour end to what is likely to be his final Champions League appearance for Juve. Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo kept his calm to tuck the penalty in to the top corner and send Madrid to the semi-final.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, stimulus checks and news, today
- REAL MADRID 1-0 GETAFE Real Madrid player ratings v Getafe: Ramos saves the day
- CORONAVIRUS Until when has the coronavirus PPP small business loan deadline been extended?
- MANCHESTER CITY 4-0 LIVERPOOL Manchester City player ratings vs Liverpool
- Premier League Mourinho angry at VAR after Bramall Lane controversy
- BARCELONA Messi halts renewal talks and wants to leave Barcelona in June 2021