Neymar reveals how Messi put him at ease at Barcelona
The Brazilian was feeling the pressure following his move from Santos in 2013, but a few words of advice from Messi settled his nerves and started a friendship. DC United vs LA Galaxy (Rooney vs Zlatan): MLS Game live online
“Right now there are three big stars: Messi, Cristiano, and Neymar, and they can’t play at the same club.” Those are the words of Pini Zahavi, an intermediary in Neymar’s world-record move from Barcelona to PSG last summer.
Messi calmed Neymar's Barcelona nerves
But the Brazilian and the Argentine did manage to coexist for four years at Barcelona, during which time they forged a strong understanding off the pitch and a firm friendship off it. That all started in 2013, at half-time in a match that was going badly for Neymar.
“He saw that I was close to tears because I hadn’t had a good first half,” Neymar told Altas Horas. “Messi saw that I was upset and he started to talk to me: ‘you have to be yourself, play your football, and don’t let yourself get intimidated.’”
Neymar relaxed from that point and his Barcelona career began to take off.
“After talking to him I started to get going, to show my football and gain confidence,” he added. “It was when I relaxed and became happy, and began a strong friendship.”
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Guardiola stuns Bernabéu as Madrid struggle in home opener
- Premier League Manchester United beaten by Crystal Palace after De Gea fail
- BARCELONA Messi not in squad for Betis match
- Messi will only play if he is 100 per cent fit, says Valverde
- MANCHESTER UNITED Solskjaer "lost for words" after Rashford suffers racist abuse
- REAL MADRID Varane: "We played really well, we deserved a better result"