Juventus confirm muscle tear for Giorgio Chiellini
The influential defender suffered the injury in Juventus' Serie A defeat to Napoli, the club have confirmed, with his return date unclear.
Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has been diagnosed with a muscle tear in his left knee after lasting just 11 minutes of Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Serie A title rivals Napoli.
The Italy international had to be replaced by Stephan Lichtsteiner early on in a match settled by a 90th-minute Kalidou Koulibaly goal in Turin.
And tests on Monday confirmed a tear to the biceps femoris, the club revealing the 33-year-old has already begun receiving treatment for the issue.
Juve's defeat to Napoli leaves them just a point clear of the Maurizio Sarri's men with four matches left to play, meaning Chiellini's injury will come as a significant blow to their hopes of holding on for a seventh consecutive Scudetto.
The Bianconeri face Inter, Bologna, Roma and Verona before the end of the season, as well as AC Milan in the Coppa Italia final.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In