Joaquín Caparrós was officially unveiled as Sevilla manager for the second time in his career on Sunday – and immediately explained that he had only taken the job on until the end of the season.
“I won’t be coach next season, we’ve ruled that out,” Caparrós, who led Sevilla from 2000 to 2005, said. “We are going to take it step by step, game by game. First we have Real Sociedad, then Madrid, then next one [against Betis]… We have had talks and in the future I’ll take up a role in the structure of the club. I’d like to be close to the academy, because Sevilla has the best academy and the best director of football in Pablo Blanco. I’ll be the coach for just these four games.”
On Sevilla's slide: "In football it is possible to get into bad dynamics"
Sevilla face a battle to get into Europe next season after Getafe leapfrogged them into seventh with a 1-1 draw against fellow challengers Girona on Sunday. “We are going to fight and I’m sure that we’ll give everything to achieve the objectives of the club,” Caparrós said. “I’m very happy to be back here at my home. I’m glad Sevilla remembered me and although the situation is difficult I wanted to come back and they knew that when they needed me I’d be available.
“Sevilla have a very good squad but in football it is possible to get into bad dynamics. It’s true that the team go through big changes from the first half to the second half and we are going to try and create a good atmosphere and to get the players up for what are four final pushes. They are the first people who are not happy with the way recent results have been going.”
José Castro: "The reality is that results were not coming"
Sevilla president José Castro explained during the press conference that Caparrós had refused payment for the four games he will be in charge. “We had already spoken to Joaquín about the restructuring that will take place from next season and we decided it would be good to draw on his knowledge and strength for the final four games. I have only good words about [Vincenzo] Montella, who has been a perfect gentleman and understood the situation. The reality is that results were not coming. We thought the team would react against Levante but that wasn’t the case.”
“I’m happy to be back and being a Sevillista is something you have to demonstrate every day. We will try and take all 12 points that are remaining, that’s our objective,” Caparrós added.
N'Zonzi up for a bit of eyeball to eyeball
Finally, speaking about Steven N’Zonzi’s decision to go out on the town in Madrid after the 5-0 Copa defeat against Barcelona - for which he subsequently apologised - a little of the old Caparrós steel came to the fore: “The club has opened an investigation and I’ll have to have a face-to-face. When I’m talking to him, looking him in the eye, bang bang, and depending on how many times he blinks or the feeling I’m getting from him, I’ll decide.”