Catalan newspaper Sport carries on its front page the conclusion to a story that has run and run: finally, Barcelona and Atlético Madrid have reached an agreement for the sale of Antoine Griezmann.
Barcelona willing to exceed Griezmann release clause
Sport reports that Barcelona will pay more than the player’s release clause in order to smooth their relationship with Atlético, which has become strained over the last few months. Griezmann’s release clause is currently €200 million but will fall to €100m at the start of July. Sport mentions €115m, rising to €120m, as the figure the clubs have agreed upon.
Atlético Madrid continue to deny the existence of any negotiations with Barcelona, let alone a deal. Yet it appears increasingly likely that Griezmann will call Camp Nou home next season. He could sign a five-year contract despite Atlético offering him a higher salary than he would get at Barça.
Barcelona want Griezmann to decide before World Cup
Griezmann has been in contact with Barcelona since the start of the season, and the Azulgrana club have been confident for a few months that they will secure his signature. That is why Barcelona have kept the No.7 shirt vacant.
AS understands that Barcelona want to conclude the deal as soon as possible and avoid a soap opera that drags on throughout the summer. Those at Camp Nou hope that after the Europa League final, or Atlético’s final LaLiga match, Griezmann will announce which shirt he will wear after the World Cup.
Te recomendamos en English
- euro 2020 Magic moment when Mbappé and Cristiano exchange shirts
- GOLD CUP Is Alphonso Davies playing at the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup?
- EURO 2020 Daei congratulates Ronaldo after star equals international goals record
- NBA Young erupts for 48-point double-double as Hawks beat Bucks in Game 1
- NBA NBA playoffs 2021: Paul cleared to play Game 3, Clippers' Kawhi ruled out again
- EURO 2020 Benzema's "pride and joy" at ending long France wait