The approach to the Champions League final is being sullied by the logistical difficulties that Liverpool and Real Madrid fans face in reaching Kiev.
Flights and accommodation are proving difficult to come by for both sets of supporters, due to a lack of availability and extortionate prices. The cheapest return deal to Madrid - not booked through an agency (some supporters groups have managed to secure packages through travel agencies for 930 euros), is priced at 2,322 euros and they are not direct flights but involve at least one stopover. Fans of Los Blancos have few options but a 36-hour drive from the Spanish capital.
Couches in Kiev for Real Madrid
In response to the nightmare situation, the people of Kiev have mobilised to provide practical support for travelling supporters. Several locals have set up a Facebook group that brings together locals with a spare sofa, and supporters looking for somewhere to lay their head.
"Kyiv FREE couch for football fans 26/05/18" already has more than 6,000 members and provides the following information:
“As hotels are booked in Kyiv on 26 May, and many football fans are looking for the place to stay after the final game, local people are ready to host for free.
1. Please write a post in this group, mentioning how many people you can host (and the team you support if it matters). For example: "2 people, Real Madrid".
2. Then choose fans, who commented on your post and whom you want to host - add them as friends and write a private message with details.
3. When your flat is taken, please write TAKEN in your post (edit the post).
1. Write a comment on the post of the host. Please don't write if it says "taken".
2. When you find a host, discuss details in private messages.
Welcome to Kyiv and enjoy your stay!”
*Update 16 de mayo de 2018