De Jong: Barcelona closing in on Ajax midfielder
The Catalans are out to sign the Dutch midfielder, 21, in the face of competition from several clubs in the Premier League. Portland Timbers vs LA Galaxy: MLS week 21 live online
Barcelona are understood to be in line to sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax.
Diario AS has learned that the Blaugrana are set to sit down with the 21-year-old's representatives early next week with a view to closing in on an agreement on personal terms.
30 to 35-million-euro fee expected for De Jong
Barça are expected to have to pay around 30 to 35 million euros for the Dutch Under-21 international, although AS has been unable to confirm the exact fee.
General manager for football Pep Segura is - along with the now former technical secretary, Robert Fernández - a firm admirer of De Jong, but the initial plan had been to swoop for the central midfielder in summer 2019.
Rising Premier League interest sees Barcelona act
However, the growing competition for his services - particularly from the Premier League - appears to have persuaded Barça to move early for the versatile youngster, who can also play at anchorman and in central defence.
A graduate of the Willem II youth academy, De Jong was snapped up by Ajax in 2015, and has gone on to make 37 first-team appearances for the Amsterdam club.
Te recomendamos en English
- LaLiga Camp Nou closure threat over Griezmann signing case
- Messi eyes Raul record, Mane out to go level with Drogba - Champions League in Opta numbers
- Champions League Napoli 'cheeky bastards' with two number sixes, jokes Klopp
- PSG - REAL MADRID Official: PSG's Cavani and Mbappé to miss Real Madrid game
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool are the team to beat in Europe, says Napoli coach Ancelotti
- BAYERN MUNICH Coutinho: "Bayern is more of a close-knit family than my previous clubs"