Barcelona are understood to be in line to sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax.
Diario AS has learned that the Blaugrana are set to sit down with the 21-year-old's representatives early next week with a view to closing in on an agreement on personal terms.
30 to 35-million-euro fee expected for De Jong
Barça are expected to have to pay around 30 to 35 million euros for the Dutch Under-21 international, although AS has been unable to confirm the exact fee.
General manager for football Pep Segura is - along with the now former technical secretary, Robert Fernández - a firm admirer of De Jong, but the initial plan had been to swoop for the central midfielder in summer 2019.
Rising Premier League interest sees Barcelona act
However, the growing competition for his services - particularly from the Premier League - appears to have persuaded Barça to move early for the versatile youngster, who can also play at anchorman and in central defence.
A graduate of the Willem II youth academy, De Jong was snapped up by Ajax in 2015, and has gone on to make 37 first-team appearances for the Amsterdam club.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?