Mohammed VI, the King of Morocco, has instructed his country to bid to host the 2030 World Cup, a government spokesperson said on Thursday.
‘Upon royal instructions, Morocco will prepare its bid to host the 2030 tournament,’ spokesman Mustapha El Khalfi told a press briefing.
‘That shows that Morocco is a country of openness, tolerance and shares values of the world, making football a key driver for social development and economic growth.
‘It shows also our perseverance to do better and better for the sake of Morocco and worldwide football.’
The announcement came after the north African kingdom lost the vote to host the tournament in 2026 to the joint USA, Canada and Mexico bid.
Khalfi added that for the 2030 bid Morocco would implement the projects included in the 2026 proposal.
Morocco King Mohammed VI instructs country to bid for 2030 world cup after the nation lost the vote to host the tournament in 2026 to the joint USA, Canada and Mexico bid.#Morocco #WorldCup #Canada #USA #Mexico pic.twitter.com/0tN7nr193t— Povo News (@povonewsafrica) 15 June 2018
Regrettable decision by Arab countries
The spokesperson said it was ‘regrettable’ that seven Arab nations did not supported Morocco, including close political allies such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Qatar, who will host the 2022 edition of the World Cup, voted for the kingdom.
The Emir of Qatar @TamimBinHamad informed King of Morocco, #MohammedVI, of Doha’s support for the kingdom’s 2030 #WorldCup candidacy. #WorldCup2030 @FIFAWorldCup @FRMFOFFICIEL @UEFA https://t.co/gAw4DPYFge pic.twitter.com/Yjrs7o4drP— Inside Arabia (@InsideArabia) 15 June 2018
The 2030 bid will be a sixth attempt for Morocco, having previously made bids for, as well as 2026, the 1994, 1998, 2006, and 2010 editions.
Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay are preparing a bid for the 2030 tournament, while England is pondering a bid as well.