Gelson Martins agrees to join Atlético Madrid
The highly rated Sporting winger is expected to complete his move in the coming days with Kevin Gameiro set for a transfer to Mestalla.
Sporting Lisbon winger Gelson Martins has agreed a deal to join Atlético Madrid, pending official confirmation.
The 23-year-old winger, who was part of Fernando Santos' World Cup squad, is one of a number of stars set to leave the José Alvalade this summer after the institutional implosion that rocked the Portuguese giants towards the end last season.
Atlético have been in talks with Martins for some time and have now reached agreement with the player, who asked that his contract with Sporting be terminated after a group of masked ultras attacked players and staff last May.
Martins concludes Simeone's attacking purchases
With the arrival of Martins, Diego Simeone has now landed all of his major targets. Thomas Lemar, Nehuén Pérez and Rodri have all been signed during the summer and the Portugal international, who will replace Yannick Carrasco after the Belgian's move to the Chinese Super League, completes Simeone's squad for the 2018-19 season.
The Atlético manager had been without a natural right-sided attacker after Carrasco's departure and used both Koke and Saúl in that position in the second half of last season.
It now falls to Simeone to thin out his attacking options. Kevin Gameiro is on the verge of a move to Valencia and Luciano Vietto, who was on loan at Mestalla, is also looking for a new clubafter Los Che decided not to exercide their purchase option on the 24-year-old striker.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July