The tenure of Argentina head coach Jorge Sampaoli, whose position has been in doubt since the Albiceleste's disappointing 2018 World Cup campaign, is on the verge of coming to an end.
Sampaoli was expected to take charge of Under-20s this month
On Monday, the Argentinian Football Association (AFA) said that Sampaoli would take charge of Argentina Under-20s at this month's L'Alcúdia international tournament in Spain, with the governing body's bosses then running the rule over his future as coach of the seniors.
Argentina coach set to go after refusing plan
However, sources close to the national team have told AS that Sampaoli has said no to the plan and is expected to part company with the AFA in the coming hours.
The AFA is set to pay off the ex-Sevilla coach's contract until the end of the year.
Former Deportivo La Coruña, Racing Santander and Real Mallorca defender Lionel Scaloni is now thought to be most likely to be handed the Argentina Under-20 reins in L'Alcúdia.
Te recomendamos en English
- Messi hat-trick a good way to celebrate Ballon d'Or – Barca boss Valverde
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez: Best goal of my career
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane has four options to fill left-back vacancy against Valencia
- BARCELONA Barcelona president agrees "three years could be enough for Valverde"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us