The tenure of Argentina head coach Jorge Sampaoli, whose position has been in doubt since the Albiceleste's disappointing 2018 World Cup campaign, is on the verge of coming to an end.
Sampaoli was expected to take charge of Under-20s this month
On Monday, the Argentinian Football Association (AFA) said that Sampaoli would take charge of Argentina Under-20s at this month's L'Alcúdia international tournament in Spain, with the governing body's bosses then running the rule over his future as coach of the seniors.
Argentina coach set to go after refusing plan
However, sources close to the national team have told AS that Sampaoli has said no to the plan and is expected to part company with the AFA in the coming hours.
The AFA is set to pay off the ex-Sevilla coach's contract until the end of the year.
Former Deportivo La Coruña, Racing Santander and Real Mallorca defender Lionel Scaloni is now thought to be most likely to be handed the Argentina Under-20 reins in L'Alcúdia.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUMOUR MILL Saudi crown prince to make new Man United offer - rumours
- Manchester United won't wait 30 years for title – Solskjaer aims dig at Liverpool
- MALLORCA 1 - 0 REAL MADRID "We didn't lack motivation or intensity” - Marcelo after Real Madrid's defeat to Mallorca
- LALIGA Mallorca record famous win over Real Madrid
- Crystal Palace 0-2 Manchester City Manchester City back in the groove
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Joao Félix out with sprained ankle