The social media impact Cristiano Ronaldo's departure from Real Madrid for a move to Serie A is dramatic with the Spanish Twitter account of the club losing almost one million followers in the time after the announcement of his move to Turin. The official account went from having 31.97 million followers to now less than 31.02 at the time of writing (Thursday July 12).
The social media giant Twitter are also in the course of deleting fake accounts but in this situation that doesn't seem to be the reasoning behind the dramatic loss in followers relating to the Real Madrid account. Despite the recent exodus experienced on their Twitter account, 'Los Blancos' still lead the way in dominating the platform with over 30 million followers, some distance ahead of FC Barcelona with 13.8 million followers and streets ahead of city rivals Atlético who have more than four million followers. (All figures cited reflect the Spanish language Twitter accounts).
The move of the Madeira born striker has had the opposite effect on the Juventus Twitter account with more than 1.1 new followers following "The Old Lady" on the social media platform which constitutes a growth of almost 20%.
Cristiano Ronaldo himself still dominates the world of football social media with his personal account having a staggering 74 million followers with Neymar in second place on 40 million. Argentine star Lionel Messi has no official Twitter account but is the most popular player in China with his domination of the Sina and Tencent Weibo platforms.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Bruno Fernandes offered to Real Madrid
- BARCELONA Messi returns to full training with Barcelona ahead of Betis clash
- LALIGA No Clásicos for UK viewers as LaLiga broadcasts pulled
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane starting to change his opinion about James
- REAL MADRID Gareth Bale to captain Wales in next month's Euro 2020 qualifiers
- RIVALDO "It would be great for Ronaldo to have Neymar by his side" - Rivaldo