Tunisia: Benzarti returns for fourth stint as manager
The 68-year-old has been tasked with leading the Carthage Eagles to the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon.
Faouzi Benzarti has been named as the new head coach of the Tunisia national football team. He replaces Nabil Maaloul, who resigned after a disappointing World Cup in Russia.
"Benzarti has been appointed to coach the Tunisia national team for two seasons with a possibility of renewal," the Tunisian Football Federation said in a statement.
"He's been tasked to select his assistant coaches as well."
This is Benzarti's fourth stint at the helm, after occupying the job in 1994, 2010 and 2011.
The 68-year-old is tasked with leading the Carthage Eagles through the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifying campaign ahead of the tournament in Cameroon.
Prestigious track record
Benzarti has a prestigious track record as a coach, with numerous national titles, championships and cups.
He has won nine titles in the Tunisian league, an African Champions League and two Confederation Cups.
With more than 40 years of coaching on his CV, Benzarti is one of the most experienced tacticians in Tunisia, having trained Esperance Tunis and Club Africain, the country's two largest clubs. He has also had experiences abroad, notably in Morocco, where he managed Wydad Casablanca.
However, due to his unorthodox style of coaching and his short temper, his appointment will surely split football fans across Tunisia.
Benzarti's first competitive match in charge will be away to Swaziland on 7 September in a Nations Cup qualifier.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Will Amazon accept Bitcoin as a payment method?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 26 July
- Child Tax Credit $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: what are the IRS warnings about payment scams?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: why does the Delta variant spread so fast?
- OLYMPIC GAMES How many surfing world titles has Carissa Moore won?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TENNIS Who are Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka's parents?