The jihadist cell that perpetrated the attacks in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas and Cambrils, Tarragona on August 17, 2017 intended to launch an attack three days later at the Camp Nou, during the Barcelona-Betis game on the first day of the LaLiga season, according to Spanish newspaper El Periódico.
El Periódico claims the group planned to carry out several attacks that Sunday, including an attack on the iconic Barcelona stadium.
The police body investigating the August 17 attacks has found several indications that the terrorists planned to attempt an attack on the Camp Nou. Detectives found various searches for information relating to match schedules and stadium access, as well as images of the stadium, on the phone of Mohammed Hichamy, a member of the terrorist cell.
"It is very possible that they wanted to attempt the same as the attackers in Paris that attacked the Saint Denis stadium in the middle of the match of French national team," a source close to the investigation told El Períodico.
Futhermore, a shopowner of an official Barcelona store in the city told El Periódico that at least two members of the group had been in his shop buying club fan products, perhaps in attempt to pass themselves off as fans when entering the stadium on the day of intended attack.