Super Cup glory will make Atlético strong - Simeone
Atlético Madrid have suffered European woe against rivals Real Madrid and Diego Simeone feels winning the Uefa Super Cup can be significant.
Diego Simeone believes Atlético Madrid will grow after finally ending their misery at the hands of city rivals Real Madrid in European finals.
Atlético win to inspire more
Atleti were bested in extra-time and on penalties respectively by Los Blanco in the 2014 and 2016 Champions League finals.
An additional period was also required during Wednesday's Uefa Super Cup clash in Tallinn, but a spectacular strike by Saul Niguez and a game-sealing effort from Koke shortly afterwards gave Simeone's men a 4-2 victory.
"Real hadn't lost an international final since 2000," he said, having watched Diego Costa's earlier brace from the stands due to a Uefa touchline ban.
"In the previous finals against them the little details were against us, so that's why we could not win the finals.
"We had already beat them in the  Copa del Rey final and the  Supercopa de Espana, and now we beat them also in Europe. This will make us stronger and we will celebrate it."
Simeone reserved special praise for Costa, who returned to Atleti from Chelsea last year and will spearhead the bid to repeat 2013-14's remarkable LaLiga title triumph.
"It was an extraordinary night from Diego Costa, [he] made us stronger," he added.
"After the [equaliser for] 2-2 the team believed more and more. With this great squad we have, we need everybody involved.
"If all our players are in good condition, our possibilities are higher."
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?