Spanish magazine Sport was the first to break the news that PSG were looking to snatch Ivan Rakitic from Barcelona. And now the Croatian international has given his first interview to the same publication since he publically stated he would stay at Barcelona, in which he speaks about turning down the opportunity to leave the Camp Nou for Paris’ Parc des Princes.
“There is no club in the world that could give me more than Barcelona, unless it's money,” explained the midfielder, who is patiently awaiting a call from Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu to discuss a salary increase.
“It’s a gesture that never hurts,” he told Sport. “I trust that they will call me soon.”
Family and Valverde play role in his decision
Rakitic is happily married with two children and revealed in the interview that his family was a big factor in his decision to stay in Barcelona. “I listened to my wife and my heart,” he said, adding that Barça coach “Valverde was also important” in his decision, “as he helped me a lot.”
Rakitic had been heavily linked with a €90 million move to PSG, but the player finally put speculation to rest after the Valladolid game last Sunday when he confirmed that he would be staying at the Camp Nou.
"There has been a lot of talk, but it's done. I'm going to stay here, with a huge amount of excitement," he told Barca TV.
"Honestly, there is nothing better than defending this crest. I'll give my best and that's that.”