"If I don't win the Ballon d'Or, I'll wonder what else I have to do"
Antoine Griezmann was also baffled at the lack of French players on the shortlist of The Best award: "This is a FIFA trophy, right? FIFA organises the World Cup and we won it".
Atlético Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann gave an interview to L’Equipe as the France squad met up for the first time after winning the World Cup in Russia.
Is this the best year of your career so far?
Yes, I think so. It's the most successful. I've scored more goals but in terms of trophies, it's the best.
What do you think about The Best finalists?
It's strange and a bit of a shame. This is a FIFA trophy, right? FIFA organises the World Cup. We won it and there is not one France player on the final list.
For players, the most prestigious individual award is the Ballon d'Or. Do you think about winnng it?
Yeah, I think I'm getting closer all the time. The Ballon d'Or is a prestigious award and is the peak for any player. There's nothing higher.
Do you think it will be unfair if you don't win it?
It won't be unfair, but I'll wonder what else I have to do. I've won trophies and was decisive at key moments. But then I don't vote.
Five candidates to win it?
Dear me, what a problem! Pogba because he's beautiful. No, choosing five is actually too difficult.
Do you feel like one of the favourites?
If I compare 2016 to this year, I feel I should be among the three finalists. In 2016 I lost two finals and was chosen among the top three. This year I've won three finals...
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win