Case against Uefa's Home-Grown Player regulation to be heard in Brussels court
Football agent Dani Striani has challenged Uefa regulation on Home-Grown Players and his case will be heard at Brussels Commercial Court on September 11.
After the setback following the ruling of the Court of Appeals in Brussels that declared the forced arbitration of the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) illegal, Uefa is faced with another court dispute that could affect its Home-Grown Player (HGP) regulation, which obligates teams to include a minimum of 8 players that were trained by clubs from the same national league in their A list of 25 players for Uefa competitions.
The decree, which came into full force in the 2008-2009 season, has been challenged by football agent Daniel Striani in a case he has brought to the Brussels Commercial Court. The case will be heard on September 11.
Striani claims that the HGP regulation violates EU law on the free movement of workers and competition, and his challenge is based on the recent ruling of the Court of Appeals regarding the CAS.
Striani is represented by Jean-Louis Dupont (who was involved in the Bosman Case) and Martin Hissel, the same lawyers who obtained the historic ruling a few days ago that could change the judicial model and the order of world sport.
Uefa's definiton of a Home Grown Player
"UEFA defines locally-trained or 'homegrown' players as those who, regardless of their nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21. Up to half of the locally-trained players must be from the club itself, with the others being either from the club itself or from other clubs in the same association"
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July