LeBron on Kaepernick ad: I stand with anyone who believes in change
Colin Kaepernick and Nike have the support of LeBron James in their new advertising campaign.
LeBron James is the latest professional athlete to show support for Nike following the controversial advertising campaign with Colin Kaepernick.
Nike this week unveiled the latest 'Just Do It' campaign with former San Francisco 49ers star Kaepernick, with one image reading: "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."
Kaepernick, 30, has not played in the NFL since opting out of his contract with the 49ers in 2017, following a season in which he was both praised and criticised for kneeling during the national anthem in protest at police brutality and racial injustice.
And while this latest campaign has prompted a mixed response, with president Donald Trump critical, Los Angeles Lakers forward James is firmly on Kaepernick's side.
Having been honoured at a fashion show on Tuesday, Nike athlete James said: "I stand with Nike, all day, every day. I stand with anyone who believes in change."
James also uploaded the striking campaign image to his Instagram page.
The NFL released a statement on Tuesday saying the issues raised by Kaepernick "deserve our attention and action".
Last November, Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL in which he alleged that the league and franchise owners colluded to keep him from signing with another team. An NFL request to dismiss the case was denied last month.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United