North and South Korea agree to jointly bid for 2032 Olympics
The two Koreas have until 2025 to put together a joint bid for the 2032 Summer Olympics.
North and South Korea have agreed to jointly bid to host the 2032 Summer Olympics, both countries leaders – Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae-in - said in a shared statement on Wednesday.
The leaders gave no details of which cities might host certain events at the Games, or of how advanced the plans were. The statement also mentioned that they had agreed to “participate jointly” at international competitions, including the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Traditionally, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not announce host cities until seven years ahead of the Games. This gives the two Koreas until 2025 to put together a bid. The idea of a joint bid for the 2032 Games was first mentioned last week by Seoul’s Sports Minister Do Jong-hwan.
S. Korea to propose co-hosting 2032 Olympics with N. Korea: sports minister https://t.co/BY3tsSilKH— Yonhap News Agency (@YonhapNews) 12 September 2018
If the two nations effectively bid for the Olympics, it could bring the Summer Games to the Korean Peninsula for the first time since 1988, when Seoul was host.
Germany, Australia and India have also announced their interest in hosting the 2032 Olympics.
DPR #Korea & South Korea seek to jointly host the 2032 Summer Olympic Games. The two Koreas will continue to jointly take part in international sporting events, including the upcoming @Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/q8oNiW9cpy— Xinhua Sports (@XHSports) 19 September 2018
No news of 2030 World Cup bid
Last week, Do said South Korea had plans to propose a co-hosted 2030 World Cup bid involving China, Japan and the two Koreas.
“In this way, we can maintain the current atmosphere of peace and can connect Northeast Asia peace with peace on the Korean Peninsula,” he said.
No update on this plan was mentioned on the shared statement by the North and South Korean leaders.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United