Isco out for up to a month after acute appendicitis surgery
Real Madrid have revealed that the midfielder, who had been a surprise absentee from training on Tuesday, has had "successful surgery".
Real Madrid's Isco could miss a month of action after requiring an operation for acute appendicitis. In a statement published on their official website, the club revealed that the midfielder "underwent successful surgery" at the Hospital La Moraleja in Madrid on Tuesday afternoon, having been a surprise absentee from Los Blancos' final training session ahead of Wednesday's Liga fixture at Sevilla.
Carvajal also absent from training
Another player missing from training, once again, was Dani Carvajal. As per the weekend game against Espanyol, this is another opportunity for Álvaro Odriozola to make an impression at right back, following his first team debut.
The absence of Isco, who featured in the starting line-ups for both the Champions League game against Roma and the home Liga win over Espanyol (substituted on 78 minutes), opens the door to Dani Ceballos, who has impressed in his appearances this campaign. Toni Kroos should return to the side, although it is possible that 'The Best' Luka Modric is rested for the midweek match. The Croatian was collecting his award on Monday evening in London and had a chance to pose with it ahead of Tuesday's training.
Gareth Bale and Marcelo were both on the bench for the last outing at the Bernabéu in what looks to be a revolving Madrid line-up. It's expected that both will return to the XI for Sevilla.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?