Despite qualifying for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, the Tunisian FA has decided to part ways with Benzarti.
Tunisia have unexpectedly sacked their head coach Faouzi Benzarti, who was appointed just three months ago and helped the Carthage Eagles qualify for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon).
In a statement published on Saturday, the Tunisian Football Federation (FTF) said: "The board decided [...] to end the relationship between the Federation and the head coach of the national senior team, Faouzi Benzarti."
The FTF added that his assistants, Mourad Okbi and Maher Kanzari, will fill the position for Tunisia's matches in November 2018.
It also revealed that a new head coach will be announced before their first game of 2019.
#BreakingNews— Souhail Khmira (@SKhmira) 20 October 2018
With no warning or whatsoever, Tunisian FA decides to terminate National team coach, Faouzi Benzarti's contract, and assign assistant coaches Mourad Okbi and Maher Kanzari in charge for the two remaining games. A new coach will be appointed by 2019.#TNfootball pic.twitter.com/jb0qlKNggP
The 68-year-old was appointed by the FTF in July, following the Carthage Eagles' disappointing performance at the World Cup in Russia, replacing Nabil Maaloul in the job.
During his short reign, Benzarti registered three wins out of three matches, and secured a place at next year's Afcon in Cameroon.
No reason was given by the FTF for the shock dismissal of the experienced coach, who had previously worked at Wydad Casablanca, Esperance and Libya's national team, among many others.
Benzarti: "This is undignifying to me"
Talking to a local news station in Tunisia, Benzarti said the news of his dismissal was a surprise for him.
"I was informed of the news via a phone call," he said. "This is undignifying to me and to Tunisian coaches. They would not have done this had it been a foreign coach.
"I gave everything up and came here, answering a call of duty when my country needed me. My results speak for themselves - two wins away and one victory at home. This was uncalled for."
Benzarti describes his sacking by Tunisia as 'humiliating and insulting': Faouzi Benzarti, sacked as Tunisia's coach having just secured the team's place at next year's Africa Cup of Nations, describes the decision as 'insulting.' https://t.co/I9TcU7hR5Y pic.twitter.com/4rOBbxnC8V— AfricaNewsPress (@AfricaNewsPress) 21 October 2018