Leeds apologise to Derby over spy scandal after Bielsa admission
The spy scandal has piqued the interest of British football has led to an apology from Leeds United to Derby County.
Marcelo Bielsa has been reminded of his responsibilities by Leeds United, and the club's owner Andrea Radrizzani has apologised to Derby County counterpart Mel Morris over the spying scandal.
Derby claimed on Friday that a man caught acting "suspiciously" near their training ground a day previously was a Leeds employee, an incident that will be investigated by the Football Association.
Police confirmed a man was found and questioned at the perimeter fence of the complex, before being sent on his way with no arrest made.
Leeds boss Bielsa accepted in a pre-match interview before Friday's 2-0 win over the Rams that he was personally responsible for sending a club employee but showed little remorse in a remarkable defence of his actions.
The Championship leaders have now stated their intention to speak with Bielsa, who conceded he personally sent the man in question without notifying the club, regarding his remarks.
Leeds release statement on spy-gate
A club statement read: "Following comments made by Marcelo Bielsa yesterday the club will look to work with our head coach and his staff to remind them of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on.
"Our owner Andrea Radrizzani has met with Derby County’s owner Mel Morris to formally apologise for Marcelo's actions.
"We will make no further comment on this matter."
The issue has received widespread condemnation, with former Newcastle United and Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas – now a prominent pundit – calling for Leeds to be hit with a points deduction, while Sky Sports Football League analyst Keith Andrew labelled the incident "disgusting".
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July