Atlético Madrid: "The club always comes first – Simeone
Diego Simeone understands that Atlético de Madrid have to put their own interests ahead of that of the playing squad.
Atlético de Madrid boss Diego Simeone insists the needs of the club will always come first after addressing rumours that star players could depart. Captain Diego Godín, and full-backs Juanfran and Felipe Luis all have just six months remaining on their contracts, while Lucas Hernández has been linked with a big-money move to Bayern Munich.
Atleti have built a deserved reputation for defensive stoicism under Simeone and such an upheaval would undoubtedly be a cause for concern. Asked if he accepts that Atleti will at times have to make tough decisions in terms of the make-up of the squad, Simeone answered with typical diplomacy.
"We are always in the hands of the club in everything that happens," Simeone said ahead of Atleti's LaLiga clash with Levante on Sunday. "They tell me their needs and we explain the sporting side to continue growing. We take decisions together to continue, thinking along the same lines but we always attend to the needs of the club first. The club is above all of us. It's normal, the club is above all of us. If the club improves, the team improves. So far we have gone hand-in-hand in the best way."
Lucas set to return
Lucas has not played since 8 December due to a knee injury, but has been training with the squad and could face Levante. "He will be in the squad and on the morning of the game we will decide," he added. "He is very good, he's a strong guy and I hope he comes back as he was when he left. We need him."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?