Iñaki Williams scores first goals in San Mamés in over two years
Although the Athletic forward has hit 17 outside of Bilbao over the course of the last two seasons, his strikes against Sevilla were his first at home since December 2016.
Iñaki Williams chose a perfect moment to end a bizarre drought in front of goal at San Mamés, hitting two in victory over Sevilla to ease the pressure on the club as they seek to pull clear of the relegation zone under new coach Gaizka Garitano.
Garitano, who extended his record to three wins and two draws in the league since replacing Eduardo Berizzo, left Williams and Iker Muniain out of his side to play Sevilla in the Copa del Rey, a game that the visitors on that occasion won 3-1.
Williams banishes ghosts of goals past in La Catedral
On Sunday, in the second of a treble of fixtures and the second in San Mamés in four days, that selection policy paid off with a rested Williams breaking a duck that stretches back to December 2016 in front of his home fans – the last time the striker found the net in Bilbao, two years, one month and nine days ago.
Since then Williams has bagged 17 in away games and chalked up numerous assists but he had gone 40 games in La Catedral without finding the net before doing so twice on Sunday to send Athletic up to 16th and just a point off Valencia in 10th.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA NBA Draft Lottery: What time is it, TV channel, and how to watch it online today?
- NBA When was the last time the Bucks were in the Eastern NBA Conference Finals?
- US NEWS What is a primary election?
- US NEWS When are the NYC mayor elections held?
- Olympic Games How much do Olympic medals cost?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? Tax refund, $3,600 Child Tax Credit portal...