Competition
  • LaLiga Santander
  • Premier League
  • Serie A
  • Bundesliga
  • LaLiga SmartBank
  • Liga Holandesa
  • Liga Portuguesa

COPA DEL REY

Chumi: Levante to report Barça over ineligible player claims

Chumi: Levante to report Barça over ineligible player claims

DAVID GONZALEZ

DIARIO AS

Levante are to file a complaint after it was reported that Barcelona's Chumi was ineligible to play in the sides' Copa del Rey first leg this month.

For the latest updates on this story, click here 

Levante have confirmed that they are to submit a complaint to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) over claims that Barcelona fielded an ineligible player in the first leg of the sides' Copa del Rey tie.

According to El Mundo, defender Juan Brandáriz 'Chumi' started the teams' last-16 clash on January 10 despite being banned, having received a suspension for Barcelona's B side in Segunda División B, the third tier of Spanish league football.

We'll take this matter to RFEF - Levante chief

Speaking ahead of tonight's second leg at the Camp Nou, Levante president Quico Catalán told reporters: "Whatever happens on the field of play today, Levante are going to take this situation to the Federation tomorrow. We feel that there is solid enough jurisprudence to back up the club's decision to do so."

Deadline to report Barcelona passed on Jan 11

The RFEF, who it is thought can only take action over the matter if it is reported to them by the opponents of the allegedly offending team, told EP earlier today: "In the event that a complaint is received, it will be sent immediately to the disciplinary committee."

However, RFEF regulations appear to stipulate that clubs have a maximum of 24 hours after midweek domestic fixtures to file such a complaint - a deadline which, in Levante's case, passed on January 11.

RFEF rule change has Barcelona "very calm"

Furthermore, sources at Barça told EP that they are "very calm" over the claims due to a change in the rules last year that would permit the player to appear in the Copa del Rey despite being suspended in league football.

In November, the RFEF introduced a rule that states a footballer playing for a reserve side who receives a short ban - fewer than two games, as is the case with Chumi - would be allowed to feature for the first team in another competition.