Chelsea see off Fulham in entertaining derby
Gonzalo Higuaín scored a bullet volley in the 21st minute and while Calum Chambers replied for Fulham, Jorginho had the last word, slamming in the winner.
First-half goals from Gonzalo Higuaín and Jorginho earned Chelsea a 2-1 win over struggling Fulham in an entertaining southwest London Premier League derby on Sunday afternoon but they had to work hard for the points.
Higuaín opens the scoring
On-loan Argentine striker Higuaín volleyed home Chelsea's first after a perfectly-timed run on to a 21st-minute cross by César Azpilicueta overlapping with Willian down the right. Yet barely six minutes later Craven Cottage erupted when Calum Chambers drifted unmarked to the back post and scored from a Ryan Babel cross following a corner. Fulham's players rushed to celebrate with new interim coach Scott Parker. It was Parker's first game in charge following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri, a former Chelsea boss, after less than four months in charge.
The jubilation was short-lived. Brazilian Jorginho put Chelsea back in front in the 31st, thumping in a cut-back ball by Eden Hazard from outside the area. Chelsea's Kepa Arrizabalaga was back in goal after being dropped in midweek over his refusal to be substituted during last Sunday's EFL Carabao Cup final. He had to deal with a swirling wind off the Thames river and make a series of sharp saves from Aleksandar Mitrovic, Tom Cairney, Ryan Sessegnon and Joe Bryan. Fulham were on top for significant periods of the second half and had a goal disallowed for offside but the result kept them 19th, 10 points from the safety zone while Chelsea stayed sixth but moved to within a point of fifth-placed Arsenal.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?