Busquets: "At Barça we're used to Messi's brilliance"
Lionel Messi revealed an ongoing injury this week, but Sergio Busquets was not at all surprised to see him deliver the goods for Barcelona.
Sergio Busquets was not surprised to see Lionel Messi overcome a pelvic injury to inspire Barcelona to a 2-0 derby win over Espanyol.
Messi revealed this week that he has been managing a fitness concern since December, explaining his absence from Argentina's friendly against Morocco.
But the Barcelona captain was named in Ernesto Valverde's starting XI on Saturday and scored both goals as the LaLiga leaders took another step towards the title.
A tough week might have impacted other forwards, but Busquets always expects the unexpected from Messi.
"He is so important for us and he had a great game," Busquets said. "It is always an advantage to have him playing for us.
"His performances may be unusual from the outside, but they do not surprise us. What he does in training is more difficult in matches, but we are used to it."
Describing Barça's difficulties in breaking down Espanyol, who held out until the 71st minute, Busquets said: "Espanyol took an ultra-defensive approach where it was difficult to find spaces.
"But we still had chances and they did not. In the end, despite the fact that it was difficult, we have got the goals and won - deservedly after what you could see on the field."
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?