Confirmed: Ter Stegen ruled out of Copa del Rey final
Despite the German keeper not expected to start in Seville, persisting knee problems will see the German play no role in the final.
Despite Ernesto Valverde confirming that Ter Stegen “will be at the Copa del Rey final", FC Barcelona have issued an official communique confirming that the German goalkeeper will play no role in the game due to ongoing persisting knee problems.
The 27-year-old has also been omitted for the German national team as they face Belarus and Estonia as part of their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.
Ter Stegen was not expected to start the game as Barça face Valencia at Betis' Benito Villamarin stadium with Jasper Cillessen normally manning the Barcelona goal during the cup competition. 20-year-old Barça B stopper Iñaki Peña has been drafted into the Catalan side's Copa del Rey squad as reserve goalkeeper for Saturday's game.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?