Valverde to be sacked by Barça, Roberto Martínez in line to take over - Rac1
Ernesto Valverde's future remains in doubt and Barcelona could announce his sacking as soon as Tuesday with Roberto Martínez named as a potential replacement.
Ernesto Valverde will be sacked as the manager of Barcelona according to RAC1, who say Robert Martínez is the first option to replace him. The announcement should be made shortly that Barça do not plan to continue with Valverde claim the Barcelona-based radio station.
Martínez, who is currently managing Belgium, managed Everton and Wigan in the Premier League before being given the Rde Devils role. The 45-year-old brought them to a World Cup semi-final in 2018 where they lost to France. He has recently renewed with them until 2020.
Henry another candidate for the Barcelona job
Thierry Henry, who was Martínez' assistant in Belgum before leaving to take the manager's job at Monaco. That ended in acrimony with the former Arsenal and Barcelona striker suspended by the club before ultimately being sacked. He is also a candidate given his experience as a Barça player.
Josep Bartomeu had previously given Valverde his backing after their 4-0 loss to Liverpool but after a 2-1 loss to Valencia in the Copa del Rey final, which was their first title in 11 years and Marcelino's first title ever and his first win over the blaugrana seems to have changed their plans.
Valverde has been in charge of Barcelona since 2017 when he replaces Luis Enrique. He won a double in his first season but the Champions League semi-final defeat to Roma left a bitter taste and the manner in which this season ended seems to be the final straw for the 55-year-old.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS IRS checks: what does tax refund 30 mean?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos will be back one day, says Toni Kroos
- NFL Carl Nassib announcement "historical landmark" for NFL - Ryan Russell
- EURO 2020 Euro 2021 Group E: scores, standings and who progresses to the round of 16
- NBA Coach Tyronn Lue hopes the home arena ambiance will help indisposed Clippers
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: why could the US be the next country hit with the delta variant?