Marta equals Miroslav Klose's World Cup goals record
Brazil's Marta brought up her 16th goal at a World Cup tournament against Australia today. She becomes the first player, male or female, to score in five World Cup finals.
Marta Viera da Silva is widely regarded as the best female footballer of all-time and she underlined those credentials this evening by setting two new World Cup records. Her 26th minute spot-kick opened the scoring in Brazil's second group game of the 2019 Women's World Cup. It was Marta's 16th goal during the final tournament stage of a World Cup - equalliing the Men's all-time record set by Germany's Miroslav Klose over four World Cup finals: 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.
Simply the best
That was not the only record which Marta, a six-time World Player of the Year, set today - she is the only player, male or female, to have scored in five different World Cup finals.
Tournament goals during World Cup finals - (Men's and Women's combined)
16 - Marta (Brazil) -
16 - Miroslav Klose (Germany)
15 - Ronaldo Nazário (Brazil)
14 - Gerd Müller (Germany)
14 - Birgit Prinz (Germany)
14 - Abby Wambach (USA)
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?