Landon Donovan back in soccer at USL Championship
Former USMNT and LA Galaxy legend partnered up with Warren Smith for the new USL Championship club which aims to begin in 2021.
Landon Donovan's experience and talent have presented him with a new challenge, but this time, 'Captain America' will be wearing a suit.
The United Soccer League announced they had granted a USL Championship franchise in San Diego to Warren Smith, Sacramento Republic FC co-founder, who'll be joined by Landon Donovan as team Executive Vice President for Soccer Operations along with being an investor.
"I chose San Diego as my home and have personally focused on bringing professional soccer to the community, thanks to Warren, USL, and our incredible team, that dream has become a reality. I am ecstatic to be a part of this talented group and the newest addition to the USL Championship."
The new USL club is set to start its journey at the start of the 2021 season, but it could begin as early as 2020, and Landon looks forward to opening night.
"I'm looking forward to our opening night in Torero Stadium and the stands being filled with smiles, chants, and cheers from my fellow residents of 'America's Finest City."
The newly-formed USL club would be the 37th in the championship and the fifth in California, while also being the first San Diego outdoor professional men's soccer team since 2001.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?