Colombia defender William Tesillo subjected to death threats after penalty miss
The Colombia defender has confirmed that he and his wife have been threatened online after the Cafeteros' Copa elimination at the hands of Chile.
Colombia defender William Tesillo has confirmed that he has received death threats after missing the final penalty in a quarter-final shoot-out against Chile at the Copa América that saw the Cafeteros knocked out of the competition after completing a perfect group stage in Brazil.
The day after the game in São Paulo Carlos Queiroz’s side returned to Cali where Tesillo spoke to an El País reporter and said that he and his wife had been subjected to threatening messages on social media. “Yes, it is true. They wrote things to my wife and she went public with them. They did the same to me but I haven’t shared them yet. We trust in God.”
Corbona: "It is very easy to go on social media and criticize people"
Tesillo’s wife, Daniela Mejia, published a screen shot of a tweet on her Instagram account in which someone had posted that he hoped the Colombia international would suffer the same fate as Andrés Escobar, who was shot dead in Medellín after scoring an own goal during a match between Colombia and the United States at the 1994 World Cup.
Tesillo has received the backing of his teammates, with Juan Cuadrado telling the media that he had been the best penalty taker in training and was therefore selected for the high-pressure, all-important fifth spot kick during the shoot-out.
Edwin Corbona also offered his support to León defender Tesillo: “He has been one of the best players in Mexico during the current season. He is one of the toughest full backs there is and so nobody should be making memes over this. It is very easy to go on social media and criticize people.”
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus USA Second stimulus check: what's the current disagreement between Democrats and Republicans?
- CORONAVIRUS $400 unemployment benefits boost: why could it be delayed?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- FOOTBALL Transfer talk: Manchester City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago
- Juventus Cristiano Ronaldo's inner circle deny Barcelona rumours
- Xavi wants Barcelona 'dream team' including Carles Puyol and Jordi Cruyff