Mexico earns its Gold Cup final match ticket in extra-time
The Mexican national team had to suffer to reach the Gold Cup grand final, as Haiti complicated things now for El Tri, just as they did through all the tournament.
The semifinal match between Mexico and Haiti on paper was supposed to be an easy one for the Mexican national team, but the Caribean side has been showing throughout the tournament that they're not an easy rival to face.
Haiti started the game with a nice shot that took Mexico by surprise, however, Memo Ochoa cleared any danger, and from then, El Tri kept total control of the ball for the rest of the game, a match that displayed Mexico's deficiencies on the field, while also showed the tremendous defensive work Haiti is able to do.
Haiti managed to hold off Mexico's pressure, even though Gerardo Martino's squad kept seeking the Caribean inside area striking every chance they got, but El Tri lack of aim prevented them from opening the scoreboard in the first 45 minutes.
Johny Placide was the big hero of the night, as he managed to maintain Haiti's box clear by blocking all he could every time Mexico got close to his net, and in the second half when all of the Mexican fans were singing Guardado's goal, Placide with a hand save stopped the people cheers leaving them in silence.
Mexico missed the presence of LA Galaxy player, Uriel Antuna and when he got into the pitch the face of the Mexican side change but were unable to win in 90 minutes, sending the match to extra-time. A penalty in favor of the tricolor that was taken by Raúl Jiménez gave Mexico the desire grand final ticket where they will wait for its next rival between USA and Jamaica.
Te recomendamos en English
- LA Galaxy Chicharito: When I talked about retirement I meant because of my age not the MLS
- Copa del Rey 2019-20 Zaragoza vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- MASCHERANO 'Messi's unique ability can extend his future' - Mascherano
- BRUNO FERNANDES | MANCHESTER UNITED Bruno Fernandes is on his way to join Manchester United
- BARCELONA Barcelona youth product Carles Pérez makes €13m Roma switch
- Premier League Guardiola admits mistake over Man City crowd comments