Argentina deserved to make Copa América final – Scaloni
After falling to a 2-0 semi-final defeat to Brazil in Belo Horizonte, Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni said he felt his team were unlucky and deserved more.
Lionel Scaloni felt Argentina deserved to win their Copa América semi-final against Brazil after suffering a 2-0 loss on Tuesday. Argentina had their chances in Belo Horizonte, but fell after goals from Gabriel Jesus and Roberto Firmino for Brazil.
Argentina should have won - Scaloni
Sergio Agüero and Lionel Messi hit the woodwork for Scaloni's side, who enjoyed plenty of possession after the hosts opted to sit back having gone 1-0 up. Scaloni, who was unhappy with the refereeing amid suggestions Argentina could have been awarded two penalties, felt his team deserved a place in the final. "On merit, the team that should have gone to the final was Argentina," he told a news conference. "We were superior to Brazil."
The Argentina coach went on to add: "We showed that this group of players feel the shirt like nobody [else]. We leave an image for the future of this national team and a very good way forward."
Argentina batter the woodwork
Agüero hit the crossbar after Jesus' opener, while Messi struck the post in the second half, before Firmino's sealer. Asked about his future at the helm, Scaloni – in his first management job – said it was not the time to discuss his position. "I don't think it's time to talk about it, because that's the least of my worries right now," he said. "I want to be with my players and share this hard moment."
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham Hotspur What José Mourinho brings to Tottenham Hotspur
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho in 2015: 'I could never manage Tottenham'
- PREMIER LEAGUE Spurs: Kane thanks Pochettino for making "dreams" come true
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid not happy with Bale's 'bad joke' with Wales flag
- REAL MADRID Zidane to deal with hot button issue of Bale on Thursday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho's best fall-outs: From 'Demenza senile' to eye-pokes